Monday 18 December 2017

Fuel........

......what fuel, it's there somewhere!

Sunday morning we went for a stroll around the not village, I say that because there was little evidence of a village, just quite a few houses tucked away off the main road, we went back and walked past the C&RT service point and along the towpath before Jack got bored and we headed back to the boat.

Fuel boat Halsall arrived around 3:45, it was getting dark as he serviced Rod's boat first and then moved along to deal with me, 10 bags of smokeless coal first, then the diesel, and at this point we had a problem, there was no diesel, well there was but it could not be persuaded to leave it's large spacious tank on Halsall and take up residence in my not so large tank! A decision was made that Lee from Halsall would fix the issue in the morning and text me to confirm and I could then pull up alongside them as I passed the services where they would be taking on a coal delivery, all seemed fine.

At 9am today we were ready to leave once the all clear to proceed came through, by 10am not message so I texted for an update, no reply, at 11am Rod decided to walk to them and find out what was happening, it turned out they had no phone signal but were ready for us, so Rod (who realised his fuel fill was not completed) headed off first, I followed 15 minutes later, both boats fueled up we also both topped up the water tanks and I lead off around 12, a late start but we had finally achieved our reason for the wet cruise previously and were happy again.

The foggy chilly trip heading south back along the Shropshire was quiet and with few picture opportunities.
Passing the Middlewich branch at Barbridge junction, scene of my unintentional 360 degree manoeuvre previously.
 And then past the Barbridge services.
 With Rod following through in the mist.
 And passing the Barbridge Inn
We continued along the very pleasant section and past Hurleston Junction which takes you onto the Llangollen canal, now closed for winter repairs on the Hurleston locks and I forget to take any pictures as I looked at progress from a distance remembering my previous trip along that lovely canal.

I remembered admiring this property last trip, it was still looking good to me in it's very pleasant setting.

Reaching Nantwich it was as usual busy with all the visitor moorings North of the basin occupied, I continued on over the aqueduct and past the permit holder moorings to the long section of almost totally empty visitor moorings high up on the embankment where I had moored before.

Another bit of bad luck for Rod as he could not switch his engine off, but luck was also with him, his engineer was actually on a boat we had just passed and had waved hello, so Rod walked back and asked for assistance, which was given, a part must be obtained but a work around was found for now.

Current Mooring:

Totals today: 4.5miles


No comments:

Post a Comment