Thursday 14 December 2017

We were ready to move…….

….…..Mother nature had other ideas.

It’s been a few days since my last post, we had originally intended to move last Saturday, the Northgate staircase lock repairs finished on schedule on Friday, but the weather took a turn for the worse. Saturday was wet and windy with sleety showers, Sunday the snow came, we were according to the weathermen in the middle of the worst area, but we actually fared quite well compared to some, with only a couple of inches of snow falling and laying, it was however bitterly cold, the central heating was put on overnight for two nights, along with the stove!
Anyway we finally decided to move today, I emptied the cassette before setting off up the staircase lock, it took a while again, something is definitely not right with the levels or paddles or something! But we got through ok in the end and I emptied my rubbish before heading off alongside the city walls to set the next lock leaving Rod to close up the top gates.
Having passed the city walls it was then past the converted buildings,
this one was the old Steam Mill.
Approaching Hoole Lane lock (5) with the waterworks tower beyond.
It was quite bright, obviously chilly but I was wrapped up and Jack was happily sleeping as we negotiated the next five locks (5-9), we had a little system going, I set the lock and worked us through with Rod staying on his boat and then Rod closed up while I moved on to the next lock.
After Christleton lock, no. 9, we both needed water so I moved on to the water point while Rod waited on the lock landing, once I was full I moved off to find a mooring and Rod filled up following on afterwards.

I didn’t like the look of this tree, a large section of it had snapped and was just hanging there supported only by the surrounding branches, I had just passed a C&RT workboat trimming overhanging trees so hopefully there will deal with it when they get to it.
 We wanted to moor at Egg Bridge but the moorings we thought we could stop on were restricted to C&RT work boats, I tried further along about three times to get to the bank where there was piling but it was too shallow and we ended up a way past the village, I will have to walk back tomorrow for bread and milk.

It was a pleasant cruise, but Rod had intermittent problems getting reverse gear to work, not something you want as it is your brake!, so first job tomorrow is to investigate that, we want to meet a fuel boat before he turns around so it might be a busy few days.

Current mooring:
Totals today: 4.5miles : 8 locks (1 a staircase of 3)


No comments:

Post a Comment